Location: Ardagh parish, 3 miles W of Ballina
Map: 54.097975 N, 9.225716W
Number of headstones: 75+ legible headstones
Date range: 1785 to 2010 (observed)
Recorded: all legible headstones photographed April 2011
Entrance to Ardagh Graveyard
Partially restored Ardagh Church ruins
The name 'Ardagh' is derived from the Irish 'ard achad' meaning 'high ground', which is quite apt for this location. At the back of this burial ground is an old graveyard that contains the ruins of the original Ardagh church that is said to date back to the 12th century. At the front is a new cemetery. The church ruins have been partially restored, but the old graveyard has many unmarked graves and some headstones are too weathered to be read. This graveyard is not easy to find as, although the old church is marked on the Ordnance Survey maps, part of the single-track road leading to it does not appear on the maps. Also, the entrance is hidden behind farm gates and along a farm road. Even some of the locals were not sure how to reach it.
Copyright notice: You are welcome to download any information or images from this website for personal use. Private individuals and
non-profit organizations may re-publish any images and original material from this website provided the purpose is not-for-profit and
due acknowledgement is given e.g. "Reproduced courtesy of www.GoldenLangan.com". Commercial organizations may not publish
or reproduce information or images from this website without written permission. Anyone is welcome to link to pages on this website.
While every effort is made to ensure accuracy of the information presented, no liability is accepted for any errors or omissions.
- To view a photo of the headstone, click on any name below.
- To return to the list, click on the photo.
- To search this page select "Edit, Find..." from the menu at the top-left of this browser window.
- To search this complete web-site, click the Search menu at the top right of this page