Location: Centre of Ballina, next to St Muredach's Cathedral
Map: 54.112578 N, 9.151751 W
Number of headstones: 30+ legible headstones
Date range: 1821 to 1996 (observed)
Recorded: all legible headstones photographed April 2011
Ardnaree Abbey Headstones, Ballina
This graveyard is situated next to the St Muredach's Cathedral on the east bank of the river Moy in Ardnaree, Ballina. However, Ardnaree was part of County Sligo until the boundary changes in 1899 brought it into County Mayo. The site was originally an Augustinian Abbey dating back to the 14th century, long before the town of Ballina was founded. After the dissolution of monasteries in Ireland in the 16th century, the Abbey lands continued to be used as a burial ground up until the 1950s.
View of the original Abbey entrance
Abbey description (click to enlarge)
- To view a photo of the headstone, click on any name below.
- To return to this list, click the "Back" arrow at the top-left of the browser window.
- To search this page select "Edit, Find..." from the menu at the top-left of this browser window.
- To search this complete web-site, click the Search menu at the top right of this page
Copyright notice: You are welcome to download any information or images from this website for personal use. Private individuals and non-profit
organizations are welcome to re-publish any images and information from this website provided due acknowledgement to the author is given where
appropriate; e.g. "Reproduced courtesy of C. M. Golden, www.GoldenLangan.com". Commercial organizations may not publish or reproduce
information or images from this website without written permission from the author. Anyone is welcome to link to pages on this website.
While every effort is made to ensure accuracy of the information presented, no liability is accepted for any errors or omissions.